Category Manager – Drive DeVilbiss – Remote-based
Role: Category Manager
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare are one of the leading manufacturers and distributors of medical devices and independent living products in the UK and form part of the Drive Medical Group, a leading global supplier of medical devices. The company provides products and services to Retail, e-Commerce, Acute hospitals, Long Term Care and Community customers across the UK.
The Category Manager will support products through management of the full product life cycle including new concept generation, life cycle management and end of life product cessation strategies.
The category manager will manage product pricing strategies in line with market needs and commercial requirements, will support the external and internal sales team as required and will co-ordinate with commercial and purchasing to ensure that SKU stock levels are optimised to support product sales whilst ensuring the business is not holding unnecessary inventory.
The category manager will manage their portfolio of products in line with the companies commercial requirements and will develop tactical and strategic plans and activities to manage this process effectively.
This role is for a highly organised individual with a high level of medical DME market understanding and foresight, ideally on an international basis. The individual will deliver very structured and managed product strategies and deliver high quality support to the commercial team and other departments within the international business. Must be adaptable to business needs and have strong time management and project management skills.
This role requires a professional category manager with extensive sales/marketing experience who is enthusiastic and dedicated and who enjoys supporting others and can work successfully as part of a team.
The role will predominantly be based from home, there will be requirements to attend meetings/reviews at Drive’s Head Office in Halifax, other locations across the UK and on occasions internationally. Travel to meet and review projects, products and plans with customers, will also be a necessary part of the role.
Hours of Work
The hours of work will be 8.30 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. It is essential that the successful candidate has a flexible outlook to the hours worked. There will be occasions where you are required to work over and above these hours and this may include overnight stays.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide full category oversight and management for all products within the category and associated products with a focus on the international heath sectors.
- Identify new product opportunities, define the commercial position and build strategies to take viable products through the development process and to market in co-ordination with marketing and commercial teams.
- Ensure a detailed project plan is maintained for all new product developments within the category and products in development are tracked in terms of progress to plan, commercial outcome and required specification.
- Carry out competitor product evaluations to identify risks to the business, new product opportunities or existing product re-development needs in order to maintain a commercial, competitive and differential advantage.
- Creating the business plan and market strategy for any new product and executing the project from concept to launch ensuring that all stakeholder departments within International are included.
- Full product Lifecycle Management, including product life extension strategies and end of life cessation planning and implementation of those plans. Coordinate plans with Marketing and commercial teams.
- Portfolio management to ensure the correct products are maintained in the range, gaps are filled, stock levels are optimised and slow-moving stock is identified and reduced/removed through targeted strategies in line with the commercial team.
- Removing underperforming products; if commercially viable develop existing product to increase sales to plan. Underperforming products to be removed from the range, minimising any stock right off and ensuring that product support is in place for products in market.
- Developing the pricing strategy for all products within category, in line with buying/manufacturing costs, market and competitor pricing and the commercial needs of the business within each International Market. Commercial selling price is controlled by the commercial heads.
- Enhance sales margins through ensuring the product specification are produced at the lowest cost to support each channel/market and where possible developing differentiated product which can be sold at higher price/margins. Support creation of marketing strategies to support product sales.
- Creating a 1 & 3+ year category strategy plan, agree the plans with management and execute the plan.
- Carry out Market Analysis and competitor analysis. Report key activities to management on a monthly basis.
- Ensure all internal business activities associated to the category are managed effectively and the outcomes are in line with the overall category plan and will enhance customer satisfaction, differentiate the business and help enhance margins.
- Actively monitor monthly and quarterly sales, margins and market trends and adjust plans and strategies to take advantage of any opportunities within international markets, minimising any risks to the category or the business.
- Communicate effectively with all business departments at all levels across the international teams.
- Prepare a monthly report on category activities, current product development, and plan timings. Highlight market trends and competitor activity. Report all identify risks.
- Work with the sales team to fully understand market trends across international, competitor activities and product requirements.
- The category manager will on average spend 1 days per week in the market with customers/sales people and competitors and 4 days per week on category planning.
- The category manager will attend group offices on an international basis as and when required. International travel will be a part of this role.
Key Result Areas
- Support Revenue Growth % which is greater than the % rate at which the market is growing
- Support Margin growth % which is greater than the rate of revenue growth %
- Effective management of current product portfolio
- Development of pricing strategies for all products within the category
- Management of new product development concepts and ensuring these are progressed to defined timelines and commercial needs.
- Supporting the management of product stock levels within defined boundaries
- Effective support of the commercial teams
- Prepare monthly reports
- The successful candidate will likely have at least 3 years’ experience as a category/product manager within a role where the full scope of category/product management tasks were undertaken
- It would be advantageous for the successful candidate to have experience of selling/marketing into international medical markets
- The successful candidate will have a good level of education and be efficient in verbal, written and technical communications. It is likely the successful candidate will have a formal marketing qualification.
- The successful candidate will have experience of delivering product marketing strategies and plans
- A competitive rate will be paid to the successful applicant dependent on skills and experience
- Auto-enrolment pension with an employer contribution after a deferred period
- 26 days annual holiday which increases with length of service
- BUPA Cash Plan after qualifying period
- 4 x Life Assurance
- Company sick pay after qualifying period
- Profit related pay after qualifying period
Closing date is Friday 12th November but may be closed earlier if there are enough applications received; applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. Please visit our website for more details about our Company.
Drive DeVilbiss Healthcare is an Equal Opportunities and Age Positive Employer
If interested, please send your CV to HRteam@drivedevilbiss.co.uk