Alcuris next generation telecare whitepaper image

Alcuris, an award-winning assistive technology company, has published a new whitepaper that explores the shift away from traditional reactive telecare services to ones that focus on proactive prevention.

The whitepaper – ‘Next Generation Telecare: The evidence to date’ – investigates telecare as a way to proactively prevent healthcare conditions from emerging or worsening, how it can provide reassurance to families, and engaging the strengths of families, friends and communities.

Alcuris says its new whitepaper provides the first evidence of the impact of this shift in telecare services and is based on the outcomes from its extended Techforce19 rapid feasibility study.

The feasibility study considered how the Alcuris Memo Connected Care Suite could benefit users and families by providing positive reassurance and preventative alerts when user activity changed.

It also outlined the benefits to the social care sector through the provision of objective activity data supporting assessment, care planning and management of resources.

Alex Nash, Managing Director of Alcuris, commented: “We are excited to share the evidence for the positive outcomes delivered by the Memo service.

“This white paper is very timely coming hot on the heels of the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services’ call to prioritise access to digital solutions and to work with innovators to transform, connect and enable better lives along with July’s TSA report calling for more proactive services.”

Key findings from the whitepaper include:

  • Positive reassurance for families, with the majority creating daily reassurance alerts and 40 percent creating alerts for events that worry them.
  • 83 percent of families said the Memo Suite provided an increase or significant increase in reassurance and peace of mind.
  • 80 percent positive feedback from Memo Hub users, with the remaining 20 percent neutral.
  • An increase in early preventative interventions by families, driven by new insight.
  • 40 percent of care plans provided by social care amended due to the insight provided by the Memo service. Care plan sizes both increased and decreased, the common factor being a better-quality plan with a closer fit to user needs.

The Memo Hub suite provides ‘Next Generation’ telecare services, which shifts the traditional reactive alarm focus to one that is proactive, preventative and insight driven.

Carried out between April and June 2020, the study included three partners who provide social care (Clackmannanshire and Stirling HSCP, East Lothian HSCP, and Stockton Councils), 27 Memo Hub users and 29 family Memo App subscribers.

The users were selected in mid-April and the criteria were recent hospital discharge or where wellbeing or safety were at risk because of COVID-19.

Shaun Taylor, Registered Manager for OneCall, Stockton on Tees Borough Council, said: “OneCall have been delighted to be involved with such an innovative project with the focus on prevention and positive reassurance for families, enabling vulnerable clients to live independently and safely within their own homes.

“The feedback from users has been great with the majority looking at continuing with the service once the project ends.”

The study was part-funded by NHSX under a competitive bidding process for a COVID-19 initiative called Techforce19.

The full whitepaper is available on request from

Over 7,000 healthcare professionals stay informed about the latest assistive technology with AT Today. Do you?
We respect your privacy